Spring is just a few days away – which means many of our favorite vegetables will be back in season soon! Green garlic, a more mild garlic, is a vegetable that is used often at Wolfgang Puck American Grille for various soups, salads, and entrees. Wolfgang Puck’s Green Garlic Soup is a perfect example of how the simplest ingredients can be used to create a very unique soup.
“This is my favorite spring ingredient and I look forward to it coming all year. To me, it is so simple, but also, so special because of the flavor. People think of garlic as having that hard biting flavor, but green garlic, also known as young garlic, has a mellow earthy garlic flavor that even has a sweetness to it. Some nice herbed-croutons and maybe some sautéed porcini, and you will definitely have spring fever!” says Aram Mardigian, Executive Chef, Wolfgang Puck American Grille.
Watch Aram Mardigian demonstrate how to make this satisfying soup. Recipe is below.
Green Garlic Soup: Recipe
Note: You must have a bucket of ice water with a large bain marie inside to cool the soup rapidly to not lose the color. You will also need a fine strainer.
- In large pot melt butter
- Add onions and cook until translucent
- Add green garlic and season with salt and sugar
- Cook until warm
- Add heavy cream
- Cook garlic until soft
- Puree in blender with a handful of spinach leaves in batches adding double the cooked vegetables then the cream
- Add the cream as needed in the blender until the mixture blends smooth. Be careful to not add too much cream and make the soup too thin.
- Cool as quickly as possible if not serving right away.
*Garnish with some sour cream or crème fraiche. Sautéed wild mushrooms are also a good accompaniment.
Click here for a printable version of the recipe.