Ms. Diana Ross needs no introduction: The legendary diva has belted iconic tunes for decades, and has starred in countless movies and television shows. She’s been honored numerous times, including a 2012 Lifetime Achievement Grammy as well as a 2007 Kennedy Center Honors. Now an intimate crowd of a few thousand guests have the lucky chance to see Ms. Ross live and in person at Borgata’s Event Center during a one night only, SOLD OUT show on Friday, April 1. To prepare for all of her musical glory, we rounded up five of our all-time favorite Diana Ross videos for your viewing pleasure.
1. Belting “I’m Coming Out” as an introduction to her Diana special: We can only hope Ms. Ross repeats this entrance for her upcoming Borgata concert. She emerges in the crowd, singing everyone’s favorite gay anthem along the way, and look at that white fur number she’s wearing!
2. Singing “Home” from The Wiz: Okay, say what you will about the original 1978 movie version of the iconic musical The Wiz, but Ms. Ross slays with this signature song from the show. I dare you to watch without getting all the feels.
3. Her sixteen appearances with The Supremes on The Ed Sullivan Show: We can’t forget Diana’s early days as a member of The Supremes, the trio of singing sirens who performed one memorable hit after another. The group appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show 16 times! Here’s a great montage of their performances
4. Singing the irresistible “Upside Down:” I dare you to play this signature song by Ms. Ross and not dance. It’s a testament to her wide appeal, and the fact that her tunes never quite go out of style.
5. When she went all late 80’s on us: This is Diana Ross like we don’t always remember: Rocking a leather biker jacket, torn jeans, and jamming to a sick track. Look at that hair and those dance moves! She fits right in with fierce backup dancers. Where’s my Bugle Boy jeans?
Bryan Buttler has covered the Philadelphia-area LGBT beat for over two years, and also reviews theater, opera, and classical music. Along with his own writing, Bryan teaches communications at a local college. He lives in Center City Philadelphia. His favorite things at Borgata? The Water Club, the Grapefruit Mojito at Bobby Flay Steak, and the Table Thai Massage. Follow Bryan on Twitter @bryanb82 and Instagram @bryanbuttler.