The Boys & Girls Club of Atlantic City (BGCAC) unveiled the all-new MGM Resorts International Teen Center for Economic Youth Development & College Readiness thanks to a generous investment of $500,000 from MGM Resorts International, owner of Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa, as well as contributions from the Casino Reinvestment Development Authority (CRDA), AtlantiCare, Bank of America, Parke Bank, Siganos Management, Atlantic Medical Imaging, Uncommon Individual Foundation, and Tropicana Atlantic City, among others.
Fast Facts About the MGM Resorts International Teen Center for Economic Youth Development & College Readiness (also known as The MGM Teen Club):
- State-of-the-art 20,000-square-foot Club with a health simulation lab, commercial teaching kitchen, and 3-D maker lab for fabrication to provide youth with hospitality, health, and technology industry-related hard skills, soft skills, and career exploration.
- The Teen Center is part of BGCAC’s comprehensive youth development campus. In 2017, the City of Atlantic City provided the Boys & Girls Club with a 30-year lease for the building at 1010 Drexel Ave (Usry Building), directly behind the Club’s existing building at 317 North Pennsylvania Ave. The Usry Building allowed the Club to transfer the younger members to a building that is already equipped for pre-school and elementary school-aged children. The 317 building was then renovated into the MGM Teen Club.
- The goal of the Teen Center is to transform the future of Atlantic City’s youth by providing them with a space they can go to after school to develop the necessary skills to graduate high school, attend college, or begin a career. With more than 93% of Atlantic City Boys & Girls Club youths living under the poverty level, having a job and college readiness programs are vital to helping them find economic stability for them and their families. Programs will include:
- Work for development in three keys industries: health, hospitality, and technology. It includes a teaching kitchen, simulation rooms, and fabrication lab.
- Academic enrichment in STEM classes, high school tutoring, SAT prep and college access program. It will also include internships and scholarships.
- Community workforce development opportunities and serves as a hub for other organizations that serve families impacted by the Boys & Girls Club.