Artichokes can be a little intimidating if you see them fresh in the grocery store. However, there’s an easy method behind cleaning and peeling them. Instead of buying canned artichokes, we challenge you to try them fresh! The team at Old Homestead explains, step by step, how to clean and prepare an artichoke below, plus, they include a bonus recipe for stuffed artichokes!
HOW TO CLEAN, PEEL, AND EAT AN ARTICHOKE
What you’ll need: artichoke, chef’s knife, paring knife, teaspoon, and lemon water.
1. Using the chef’s knife, cut artichoke down 1/3 to the base of the heart.
2. Trim outside of artichoke of all green leaves and skin.
3. Using the paring knife, trim remainder of green skin from the top of the heart to the bottom of the stem.
4. Using the teaspoon, scoop out the thistle in the middle of the heart.
5. Place cleaned artichoke in lemon water and submerge until you’re ready to cook. Do not leave overnight or lemon will permeate the heart. Artichokes should be cooked right after cleaning.
6. Cut artichoke heart into four equal parts, sauté with olive oil and garlic. Enjoy!
Bonus Recipe: Stuffed Artichokes
- Cut artichoke a little more than half from the top and discard the stem.
- With a spoon, clean out center of leaves and thistle.
- Using your preferred bread stuffing (mixed with your favorite herbs and spices), pack the stuffing in between the leaves and center.
- Steam until tender and enjoy!