Tom Gable, Director of Race & Sports at Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa, provides our readers with insider tips and strategies for making the most of their sports betting ventures. This week, Tom focuses on the Kentucky Derby.
Horse Racing was the only US sport to continue during the pandemic and is gearing up for its biggest weekend of the year. The running of the Kentucky Derby will take place this Saturday, September, 5. Traditionally the Derby is run the first Saturday of May and is the first leg of horse racing’s Triple Crown. This year, the Belmont Stakes (traditionally the third leg) was run in June. The Derby is the most wagered race of the year. People who don’t typically make any race wagers enjoy taking a shot and placing a bet on the Kentucky Derby. Let’s take a look at the types of wagers you can place in horse racing and discuss some of the horses in this year’s race.
- Win: If you bet a particular horse to win, that means it must come in first place in that race.
- Place: If you bet a horse to place, that means it can come in first or second place for your ticket to be a winner. This will pay less money than a “win” bet.
- Show: If you bet a horse to show, that means the horse must come in first, second or third place for your ticket to be a winner.
There are a number of other exotic types of wagers you can make in horse racing.
- Exacta: Betting an Exacta means you are picking the two horses who will come in first and second in order.
- Trifecta: A Trifecta is picking the first, second and third place finishers (in order).
There are many different types of exotic wagers you can make in horse racing such as superfectas, Pick 4, and Pick 5 as well. Most novice race bettors want to keep things simple, so they stick with the Win, Place and Show wagers.
Now, let’s focus on this year’s race. All attention will be on Tiz the Law, who won the Belmont Stakes in June and the Travers Stakes at Saratoga in August in very impressive fashion. Tiz the Law will probably go off as one of the shortest favorites in recent memory and will probably be close to even money to win. The field will probably have less than 20 horses in it so there will certainly be a chance to sneak a long shot in to an exotic wager that may pay off handsomely. Additional horses that are getting bettors’ attention are Art Collector, Authentic and Honor A.P. While certainly Tiz the Law is expected to win, you may look to bet an Exacta or two combining Tiz the Law and some other horses.
You can place your Kentucky Derby bets in the Borgata Race & Sports Book or in the Signature Room on Friday, September 4 and Saturday, September 5 up until post-time of the big race on Saturday night. Best of luck to everyone with their wagers!